28 June - 02 July 2019: Come back to the mountain for Aiglon's 70th. Book your tickets today!
College & Careers Counselling
Through comprehensive counselling and structured, personalised support, Aiglon students attend top universities across the world.
Beginning in the senior school, the College and Careers Counselling Department works individually with students to mentor and guide them through IB course selection, career research and the university search and application process.
Formal programmes and class sessions are in place for students to fully understand the expectations of the years that follow their Aiglon education. The department consists of qualified and expert counsellors who are familiar and trained in admissions practices and procedures around the world. Through this expertise, the team offers personalised counselling services to all students and parents, covering application requirements and financial aid/scholarship searches.
Specialised Programmes by Year Group
- Parents and students are welcome to schedule individual meetings with a college counselor to discuss planning related to academic course choices or extracurricular activities best suited to a student’s personal development and future aspirations.
- All students are encouraged to consider options for summer enrichment activities, programmes, internships or work experiences as a way to improve their personal development and application portfolios.
- There are SAT/ACT intensive preparation courses available on Aiglon’s campus; students are highly encouraged to participate in one of these courses in Year 11 or Year 12 if their goal is to attend a top-tier US university.
- Year 11 students attend a weekly College and Career workshop for one term, focusing on topics related to university options around the world, different career paths, and appropriate IB course selections based on their career goals. General information is presented regarding college and university research, admission and application procedures for institutions throughout the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Switzerland and other locations throughout Europe and the world.
- The College and Career Counselling Department provides support throughout the year to IB students in and outside of the classroom on topics ranging from IB subject choices appropriate to their higher education goals to finalising university application details.
- Year 12 students meet individually with their College Counsellor to discuss current academic achievement, future career goals and university research and application procedures. Conversations include, but are not limited to, finding the best university match based on academic levels and personal preferences, discussing the differences between higher education systems around the world, considering gap year options, enhancing the personal profile with specific recommendations for summer experiences, and more.
- An initial list of universities/colleges is created for the student to begin researching. Campus visits are highly recommended when possible outside of term time.
- Year 12 students attend a weekly College and Career workshop for one term, where they work on drafting personal essays (US), personal statements (UK and global), discussing standardised tests, and exploring summer enrichment activities or work/internship experiences.
- There are SAT/ACT intensive preparation courses available on Aiglon’s campus; students are highly encouraged to participate in one of these courses in Year 12 if their goal is to attend a top-tier US university. Students will take their first SAT/ACT this year.
- Oxbridge application preparation begins; discussions with counsellor and subject teachers for outside reading and summer recommendations. UK admissions testing will be discussed with certain students, as needed, to include TSA, LNAT, BMAT, UKCAT, STEP, HAT and others.
- Year 13 students are enrolled in an Autumn term weekly College and Career workshop, where they continue university research, finalise their list of universities/colleges and complete essays/statements and applications.
- College Counsellors continue to provide personalised guidance to all students, including personal essay/statement revision, application completion, standardised testing strategies (if required), mock interviewing (as needed), and general advice on how to prepare for life beyond Aiglon.
- Students must create a balanced university list to include a variety of schools ranging in admission selectivity based on his or her academic performance. The optimal goal is for each student to have a few university choices that best support and match the student’s academic abilities and personal preferences.
- Admission testing: SAT/ACT exam re-takes are expected, and some students will require SAT Subject Tests for US universities. UK admissions tests such as TSA, LNAT, BMAT, UKCAT, STEP, and HAT are administered as needed.
- College counsellors remain available through the IB results release each July to assist with university placements and address any issues or concerns.
Admission Testing Preparation
SAT and ACT: AlphaPrep, a US-based tutoring company, runs an intensive five-day SAT/ACT course for students, which is taught on-site at Aiglon. The programme is tailored to suit our students considering university studies in the US.
IELTS: This exam is required for a majority of our students wishing to pursue university studies in English. Aiglon prepares students through structured classes for the IELTS exam, which is administered on-site at Aiglon in Year 12 and Year 13.
UK Admissions Tests: Aiglon prepares and organises any required UK admission testing for students who must take these as part of a requirement for their application; tests are determined by the students’ chosen university course.
Meeting Admission Representatives
We encourage students in Years 11 through 13 to visit university campuses and meet with admission representatives to learn more about the diversity of programmes, resources, and facilities available at the undergraduate level around the world. With over 50 universities visiting Aiglon each year, students have the chance to meet and network with admission representatives right here on campus. Additionally, all Year 12 students attend the 100+ CIS university fair held annually in Geneva, and also attend mini-fairs hosted at Aiglon. During school breaks, students are encouraged to visit university campuses, exploring different sizes, locations (urban, suburban, rural), and course offerings (including specialised, technical, or liberal arts). We want students to find the ideal place to continue their academic and personal achievement after Aiglon; to give all our young people the best chance of doing so, students are encouraged to start their research early.
A selected list of higher education acceptances/offers from 2012 through 2017.
Carnegie Mellon University
Claremont McKenna College
George Washington University
Johns Hopkins University
New York University
Parsons School of Art & Design
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
Texas A&M University
Trinity College (CT)
University of British Columbia
University of California, all campuses
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
University of Toronto
AA School of Architecture
City University London
Imperial College London
King's College London
London School of Economics (LSE)
New College of the Humanities
Queen Mary, University of London
Queen’s University, Belfast
Royal Holloway, University of London
Sch Oriental & African Studies (SOAS)
University College London (UCL)
University of Bath
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Buckingham
University of Cambridge
University of Edinburgh
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
University of Leeds
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Reading
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of St Andrews
University of the Arts London
University of Warwick
University of York
American University of Paris (France)
Bocconi University (Italy)
Business School Lausanne (Switzerland)
Charles University (Czech Rep.)
Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (Switzerland)
Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
Erasmus University (Netherlands)
IE University (Spain)
Lucerne University (Switzerland)
Maastricht University (Netherlands)
Paris College of Art (France)
Sciences Po (France)
University College Roosevelt (Netherlands)
University College Utrecht (Netherlands)
University of Groningen (Netherlands)
University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
University of Melbourne (Australia)
Yale National University of Singapore